Reverend Bruce Holland tribute
Rev. Bruce Holland (20-Oct-1927 - 27-Jan-2021) Dip Th. was a practical man of trade:
- an electrical fitter at Dairy Farmers 1943 - 1950, and again
- an electrical fitter at Dairy Farmer 1953 - 1956
- an electrical contractor
- a supervising inspector
- an Amateur Radio operator
- a Mason (from a long-line of builders) and
Bruce was also an active Rotarian, and volunteer during SES operations and fire-fighting, and he held electronic classes after school hours at various parishes, and was on several country hospital boards. He even took time out between all of this to donate blood.
Bruce studied at Moore College between 1950 - 1953 (with a short break to marry Elaine), and resumed studies to be stationed at West Tamworth as a Curate 1956 - 1959, and was installed as a minister in the parishes of:
- Delungra 27 Jan 1959 - 26 Nov 1964, and
- Bundarra 27 Nov 1964 - 26 Nov 1969, and
- Werris Creek 27 Nov 1964 - 1974, and
- Tenterfield 1974 - 1982 in the Armidale diocese.
Then Bruce officially retired from the Armidale diocese and moved to Narara around 1982 due to Elaine's poor health, and was granted a licence from the Newcastle dioceses to enable him to continue his ministry on an assistant/volunteer basis.
During this period Bruce was employed by the Meadowbank Tech College for 10 years, teaching Industrial Electronics from 1982 - 1992, having passed the job interview with flying colours. He commuted by train for 10 years, often standup room only.
Bruce built things and he touched lives in more ways than most people. His legacy lives on:
- in his descendants,
- in the people he baptised,
- the people he helped,
- the people he taught,
- the people he married,
- the lives he turned around, and
- the structures and equipment he built.
- His old raspberry pi piaware has been relocated (by me) from his house to near Wagga Wagga airport, and I have upgraded the installation with a FlightAware Pro Plus stick, and a special antenna - a mobile phone 4G antenna from Jaycar. The motherboard is now housed in a clear-lid ABS plastic box and professionally laid-out on the wall, with the coax feeding through a plate. It is running at max gain and has a very good range, but I am thinking of using a second DVB-TV dongle with the gain limited for aircraft within 10 miles, because aircraft within the last few miles of the airport are overloading the receiver (that I wish to retain for long-range coverage).
Bruce loved the social contact and interaction, and it shows in his eyes.
It takes a special person to personally touch as many lives as he has done.
I hope you enjoy the photos and stories they tell. We hope to add a few more things as time moves on.
Various updates may occur from time to time.
Here is some memorabilia:
- Power Point presentation of photos from Rev Bruce Holland's life media:BruceHolland27Jan2021.pps
- The Story of Bruce and Elaine - written by Bruce himself.
- Eulogy - written by Ralph.
- memorium posts:
- Amateur Radio SK annnouncement
- https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-AUSTRALIA/IDX/Amateur-Radio/80s/Amateur-Radio-AU-1980431.pdf (Ralph using Bruce's parts, equipment and reference library)
|date:||Thursday 11 Feb 2021|
|location:||Holy Family, Anglican Church
4 Ronald Ave, Wyoming, NSW. 2250
|officiating:||Rev'd Hilary Wong
0413 334 743
|covid-19 restrictions:||a mask must be worn
attendance numbers are limited
|contact:||Ralph 0417 312869
ralph.holland @ live.com.au
Note this link will not work on an iPhone
unless the Zoom App is installed,
because Safari does not parse the ? properly.
It will work from chrome and firefox on a real computer.
order of service
Introduction and Opening Prayer
Loving God, you alone are the source of life. May your life-giving spirit flow through us, And fill us with compassion, one for another. In our sorrow give us the calm of your peace. Kindle our hope, and let our grief give way to joy; Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Hymn: Abide with me
Tribute given by Ralph Holland
Hymn: Count Your Blessings - sung by Elaine Holland and Alma Crook
Prayer of thanksgiving.
Bible Reading: John 3:16-18
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already, because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
This is the Gospel of the Lord
Response: Praise to You Lord Jesus
Prayers including the Lord’s Prayer:
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Save us from the time of trial and deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and for ever. Amen.
Farewell: commendation and committal:
Holy and loving Father, by your mighty power you gave us life, and in your love have given us new life in Christ Jesus. We entrust Bruce your merciful keeping: In the faith of Jesus Christ, Who died and rose again to save us, And now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit in glory for ever. Amen
Hymn: Thine be the Glory
Almighty God, our heavenly Father, you have given us a sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life. In your keeping are all who have departed in Christ. We commit the body of our dear brother Bruce to be cremated in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, who died , and was buried, and rose again for us, and who shall change our mortal body that it may be like his glorious body.
Well I googled how to make a QR code and it is simple, other people make them for you. e.g. websites https://www.qr-code-generator.com/.
With this image you just activate the camera in your smart phone and scan it, a link will pop up which takes your browser to http://bruce.holland.arising.com.au, which will redirect the browser to this page. (For those people who don't like typing.)
So not only can you scan the covid-19 QR entry code, you can scan this one as well.